Thursday, October 7, 2010

Speedwork breakthrough!!!!!!

Hello blog world, I have an announcement to make. To me, it's a milestone.

Tuesday, I ran a sub-30min 5k. That's right. All miles were under a 10 min/mi pace. Now, for you speedsters out there, this post is wimpy and in no means celebrates my success as a runner. To you I say, you are clearly reading the wrong blog!

For me, it was a milestone. I ran cross country, oh, ELEVEN years ago, and used to pump out 21-24 min 5ks like it was my job. Wait, it was. I digress...

But Tuesday afternoon, gnats be damned, I did a fabulous mile repeat session and actually blasted my speed work. Needless to say, I was a little tired, but just fine overall.

Today I need to tackle 3.5 miles and some strength training. I am still wrestling with how to best pair my running with weight sessions. I think as I become a stronger runner, the idea of running 4 mi of hills or speed work, then doing weights, won't seem so daunting. I am trying to diligently keep to my cross training and resistance workouts, since that might be the thing that makes me a better runner in the end. Until then, I'll muscle through. (No pun intended. Okay, maybe a small one perhaps.)

No comments:

Post a Comment